Monday, January 5, 2009

A necessary evil

Grocery shopping. It is not the highlight of my week, but if we want to eat . . . Well, Dawson and I discovered a new way to shop. We went to Giant today because I saw they have a feature called Scan It. You get a scanner when you walk in and you scan all of the groceries as you place them in the bags in your cart. This sounded brilliant to me because grocery shopping really makes me tired from putting the groceries in the cart, taking them out to be scanned, putting them back in, taking them out and putting them in the van, etc. Dawson loved the scanner and did a pretty good job with it. Oh, and the Starbucks guy came around with samples of their peppermint hot chocolate (which Dawson drank more than me). This is my new favorite store!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Jessica and I were at Giant yesterday and I had no idea this was an option! I'll have to check it out next time. I am not a grocery shopping fan either. Jessica insisted on pushing the cart and it was stressful avoiding collisions with display racks of food, my toes, and carts of other shoppers. She needs to work on steering and her sense of appropriate speed. :) Thanks for the tip... I learn such great tips from you.
Jill

Kristin said...

Oh my goodness...that is so awesome!!! I don't shop at Giant, but I might start now. I can't get over what a brilliant idea that is!

Anonymous said...

I don't shop at Giant either, but this is a great idea! May have to try it. The sample of hot chocolate sounds even better :)
Kendra Wiley

Anonymous said...

I don't think our Giants have that yet. I'll have to look. I am just looking forward to the day Hannah is old enough to go to the treehouse (babysitting) at ours. I am sure Keira wouldn't go by herself, so when Hannah is 3, maybe I can send the 2 of them. Until then, I just do the shopping at odd times when I don't have to take either. (That's not ideal, either!) The cocoa sounds wonderful, though. Bridget

Anonymous said...

I had to do a large grocery shopping trip today so I decided to try out the Super Giant. I was a little leery that it would be complicated and time consuming paying for produce and figuring out the system, but actually found it really easy. My biggest problem was that I didn't know the layout of the supermarket well and needed to keep backtracking for items. Once I become more familiar with the store, I think it will definitely cut down on my shopping trips. I didn't notice many other people taking advantage of the new system though. I wonder if it will catch on? I also wonder how on earth the store monitors theft with this system. No one checked my cart or receipt at any point. Definitely made my shopping trip more adventurous today...thanks for the tip :)

laura said...

That sounds like a great idea, I agree it is so annoying to have to move the same things so many times. Also really miss Giant, they aren't out here and I really am not a fan of Safeway.