Monday, October 8, 2007

It's over (hopefully)!

Well, I had my last chemo treatment. I had a list of questions for the doctor about what I can and can't do in the upcoming weeks. I have realized that I am now back to prodding and poking. I have lots of appointments scheduled with surgeons, plastic surgeons, and tests. Also, I am trying to squeeze in the everyday appointments too, like dentist appointments for the boys and for me, well visits for the boys, etc.

I felt more anxious today about my last chemo than any other treatment. You would think that I would be jumping for joy right? Just so much more on my mind. The oncologist is confident that the scans I have scheduled in a few weeks will show less cancer. I have also begun the process of preparing for surgery.

I felt like I was stepping into the ring this morning, ready to fight this beast, but that quickly turned into a whole lot of anxiety. When I walked David into school this morning, I spotted a friend and we began singing the "Rocky" theme music. That song was also played at our wedding reception when we were introduced. I have the song in my profile, if you would like to hear it.

One thing that helped today was that we talked to the oncologist about having a bilateral mastectomy, to remove the healthy breast as a preventive measure. He asked if we had made a decision and I told him I was leaning in that direction. I told him my reasons why and he told me that he could support that decision.

I now get to endure my chemo week, with some confidence that this is the last time I will have to go through this.




No comments: