Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Chemo life

I went to the doctor today for my routine pre-chemo visit. Nothing exciting except my white blood cell count is low. Sometimes, this can delay chemo a week but my doctor decided to give me chemo tomorrow and then a shot of Neulasta the next day. This shot helps boost my counts but can cause "mild to moderate bone pain." I experienced such "mild" pain the first go around and it felt far from mild to me. However, I only experienced this on the first shot and was okay after the initial dose. It seems I will need this every third week of chemo. My body just needs a little help and then I get a week off to replenish and recover.

So, we are washing our hands more frequently. Hopefully, my 2 petri dishes will keep their germs to themselves until this shot takes effect.

We are also preparing for the return to school. We timed our walk to the bus stop and it was actually quicker when Dawson was with us than when he wasn't! Now, we need to add a few minutes to the walk because I don't think any of us will have much spring to our step at 7:30 a.m. David begins his first full day of school on Tuesday and then Dawson begins preschool the next week. Next week is my week off from chemo and I am happy it fell on the first week of school. I won't have to be racing anywhere around drop off and pickup. David is very excited to go to a new school and ride the bus. Both boys are ready - but I am a different story . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same about my kids going off to school! I was a mess when Morgan started kindergarten. We'll see how things go this year with Andrew starting kindergarten and them both getting on the bus! cheryl

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. We visited Abigail's school for the first time tonight and I felt very stressed. She is ready, but I am not. Didn't we just birth these children the other day?

Susan

Kristin said...

You already know how I feel about the starting school thing. At least we all feel the same way; strength in numbers, right? :)

Robyn said...

I completely understand, Barb! Even though my 2 were in school last year, this is the first time Will is there 5 days a week, full time. It was hard to have him gone for so long today. When I picked him up, he later said "Mom, I thought that you were never coming for me." I felt a huge stab through the heart. Even though I had explained it to him, and he said he was excited, it was still a new experience. I know he'll adjust, but it's still hard- he's still my baby. How did the first day go for David?