Sunday, March 15, 2009

Unbelievable news

Where to begin? . . . Last Wednesday, I experienced vision problems while on the computer. My peripheral vision started flashing and it eventually became my full range of sight. Dawson was sleeping and Dave was out with David at the time. I thought the best place to be (so I wouldn't harm myself or anyone else) was in bed. I checked on Dawson first and couldn't see him lying in my bed. I knew Dave and David would be home soon. Even when I closed my eyes, the flashing continued and then a massive headache followed. Migraine, right? Unfortunately not. I debated on whether to call my doctor and wanted to downplay this as a little headache (I was perfectly happy forgetting about the flashes) and realized that I don't have "M.D." after my name and I called his office late Thursday afternoon. I went in for a CT scan of my head on Friday.

We have just returned from a whirlwind of information from my oncologist and now know there are 4 tumors, 2 of which are near the occipital nerve which may explain the vision issues. I had another episode of flashing this morning while out on a walk with Dawson. We now have a week full of tests ahead of us to see if the cancer is somewhere else also. I started taking a steroid on Friday to reduce swelling in the brain and received a dose through IV today. The treatment plan for this is whole brain radiation. We meet with the radiation oncologist tomorrow and it appears that the radiation will begin in the next week or so. I also meet with my ophthalmologist tomorrow to look further into the vision problems to see if I am having optic seizures.

Now that I have all of the technical stuff off my fake chest, let's make it personal. I have been feeling fantastic! The best I have felt in the past 2 years!! How can this be? I drove to Williamsburg last weekend and had no problems. I sat in my boys' room for hours last night and just wept. We had to have an open conversation with my oncologist today about how this is going to affect my mental capacities. Whole brain radiation can cause "early aging" of the brain and I may qualify for a clinical trial to try and reduce the short term memory loss. I just keep thinking about my children and the fear of becoming someone they don't recognize. The oncologist showed us the scan and doesn't feel that any of the tumors are pressing on areas that could cause this. But this is my brain we are talking about !!!!!

I have thought about so many things - my 3rd hair loss, my brain getting cooked, my inability to drive until all of this gets under control, the side effects of the steriods - including weight gain (which really makes me angry because I just worked my tail off to look good again) the time and energy that is taken away from my family so I can go to treatments and recover from them and my head is spinning. We have asked God a lot of questions. But, I can see His grace in the handling of all of this - the timing of the vision loss, our trip to Disney, the return of my Ipod (I lost it late last summer and we just found it again and it was my sanity through radiation the last time).

I know this may seem like rambling but it is only a few of the thoughts raging through this cancer-infested brain of mind. I received Herceptin today and the male nurse was making a joke and said he didn't want my head to get too big - now that was bad timing! We will update as we know more info.

Please pray for no more cancer. Please pray for a complete and miraculous healing of the cancer that is present.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barb - We are constantly and endlessly praying for you and your family. While I know you don't always feel strong, from our perspective your strength in all of this only confirms for us the incredible and mighty power of God in everything. We pray with you! Please let us know if there is ever anything we can do - even something as simple as picking up Dawson and taking him to preschool or coming over for a play date with Nick. -Brent D.

Anonymous said...

Barb,
You will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers as will your guys and the rest of your family. This morning as I prayed for you I just thought about our great God and how He still does miracles. Sometimes I'm guilty of forgetting that, or maybe I don't really believe it. The God who performed all those amazing miracles that we read about in the Bible is still the same God today and He's our God. He's Your God! He's the God that your church family and so many others are asking to do great things in and for you!! Let us know how we can help in any other way too, please! Love you all!

Anonymous said...

I have already expressed how I feel in my e-mail to you. My offer stills stands on using my arm! You can have both if you would like!! I know that God is in control, but it doesn't stop my heart from grieving. I am always here 24/7 and we are willing to do whatever you guys need.

Love,
Susan and Michael

Anonymous said...

Continuing to pray for you and I thank the Lord for you. You are a blessing in my life. I am so sorry that this next hurdle has come and I pray, pray, pray that the Lord will hold you close and give you strength and peace for each day. I also continue to claim life for you in Jesus' name... I so admire and respect how you have embraced life and continue to do so and pray that He will sustain you and your family graciously and mightily through this next hurdle. May the radiation effectively eradicate the cancer and cause minimal damage to surrounding good cells. Entrusting you to His Almighty and gracious hands,
Jill

Anonymous said...

Barbara and family,

You guys are always in our prayers. Our heart grieves for you, but we know that God is a Good God and has a perfect plan for your family!

In Christ Jesus,
David and Bess Leigh Booze

Anonymous said...

Living across the street, watching your courage as you navigate this journey is joyfilled and at times heart wrenching. As a breast cancer survivor myself - I am struck by the unpredictable nature of things... just as we move through one element of the process, around the corner comes news we do not want to embrace. However, grace helps us to embrace it all and my prayer for you is that you continue to have the fortitude that you have shown each of us in your special way.
I am only a few steps away. We trust you will call us at any time. May this next treatment series optimize your well-being. We all pray for you and your family and trust that these next few weeks will continued to reveal God's blessing.
Love, Mary Lou, David, Madi and Danny xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxo

Kristin said...

Barb,

I echo all of the above sentiments. I am in disbelief; I was just thinking as I clicked over here the other day how nice it is to see you blogging about Disney World and tye-dying. You are an incredible woman who has proven her strength before; this is a bit trivial, but when I was reading your post, this song came on the radio from the late 90s: "I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down..." and it reminded me of your tenacity. I don't get to see you often despite the tiny distance between us, but please think of us if there is anything we can do. I'm praying for you, your family, and for your physicians to make most informed decisions about your individual diagnosis.

Anonymous said...

Barb -
Reading this made my jaw drop. You have had such grace and strength over the past 2 years and continue now with this next hurdle. I thank God for those positive times you mentioned: your recent trips, finding a long lost IPod. I pray that he gives you all the strength and peace that you need in this next round of your battle and that he restores you completely. We are here for whatever you need, day or night.
Bridget

Anonymous said...

Barb, I just read your news and I am so sorry you are facing treatment and its effects once again. I will continue to pray for you and your family.

Michelle R.

Anonymous said...

Barb--I just read your blog(check every week or so) and my jaw dropped! I am so sorry to hear the latest news. You and your family are in my prayers (as always).
Kendra Wiley

Meghan said...

We're praying for you that God will continue to strengthen you and your family and give you the peace you desperately need. He is in total control as loves you & your family dearly! Please let us know if there is anything you need!!

Love,
Meghan & John

Anonymous said...

Barbara, the last two years have brought a lot of ups and downs, some steep mountains and very deep valleys. You have been an encouragement to me and I wanted you to know your strength that you have gotten from Christ has helped so many see His glory and I thank God for the gift of our friendship..we are praying for your complete healing...
cancer......
c=Christ centered strength
a= attitude
n=never-ending hope
c=courage
e=endurance
r=radiant beauty
I see all of this in your life
We love you and will continue to be in prayer for you and your family...Ruby

Anonymous said...

Barb, Jenn Norris gave me your blog site info and I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear about this. You and your family have been in my heart and prayers and if there is anything you need I am home most every day if you need an errand run or I would love to come and watch the boys if you and Dave need some time or if you just need a nap. I had such a lovely time with David at the parenting seminar. He's a great little boy you should be very proud. I am in awe of your strength and courage and you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

love and blessings,
Melissa Webel