Saturday, August 1, 2009

More tests

I have now been home from the hospital for almost 2 weeks, but went in for some testing this past week. While I was in the hospital, I developed some serious pain in my right shoulder that seems to be radiating from my lower neck. I thought maybe it was a different bed but the pain is still there and I am taking pain meds round the clock to keep it tolerable. I wasn't scheduled to see my doctor until next week but went in on Wednesday to see one of his partners (my doctor is on vacation). The pain could be related to my port, or some bone mets that is pressing on a nerve, or residual pain from the shingles. (The pain is near the path of the shingles.) When I return for chemo on Thursday, I should have some more answers.

I am ready to get back on this chemo. Sounds funny, right? I have started experiencing symptoms again - coughing, shortness of breath and lower back pain. The chemo might wipe me out but at least I feel better.

David went to visit his Aunt Robin in North Carolina last week. He will be gone for another 2 weeks. The last week in NC, he will be attending Camp Kesem, a camp for kids whose families are coping with cancer. He is very excited about it and I know he will be okay there - it's me who isn't okay! Dawson and I have enjoyed our time this past week, just the 2 of us. Today, we were listening to a CD David brought home from a VBS he attended. I really started missing him today because he was always singing with the CD and dancing with it. Right after I started thinking about him, his aunt sent me a photo of him in a pirate costume. He is with her at Bald Head Island, NC for a pirate weekend. I miss my baby.

Some have asked how Dawson is doing without David. He asks where he is everyday, even though he already knows the answer. One morning, I saw Dawson climbing the ladder on their bunk beds and I asked him what he was doing. "Just checking." He was making sure David hadn't snuck in during the middle of the night. We talk to David every night on the phone and Dawson always wants to talk to him, too. One day, they were just making silly noises at each other. We had a good laugh. Some things never change.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That camp looks great! Do you have an address so we could send him mail that week? Praying that you get some relief soon with starting your treatments again. Let us know if we can do anything!
Bridget

Anonymous said...

Loved your dress yesterday! I also pray that you get some relief from resuming chemo again. I am glad that I got the chance to talk to you yesterday. You are an inspiration to me and my family. Love you Barb!

Susan

Robyn said...

Barb- so sorry that you are in pain. Hope that you will get some relief soon, and be able to get back on your chemo schedule. That must be hard to be away from David for 2 weeks. I know he's in good hands though, and having a blast. Love you!

Dennis Pyritz, RN said...

Great Blog! I have added you to my blogroll, “Cancer Blog Links” with almost 500 other cancer blogs at www.beingcancer.net, a cancer networking site featuring a cancer book club, guest blogs, cancer resources and more. Please stop by and visit. If you like the site, please consider adding Being Cancer to your blogroll.
Take care, Dennis