Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Doctor's Orders: Slow Down

I have been feeling pretty great the last week or so and have enjoyed being with the boys. We have done all kinds of things together. But, by the evening, my body is so worn down and I am getting headaches about that same time. I called the doctor's office about this because I know everything could be related to the chemo. I just had an MRI of the brain in June and that came out normal. I also have glaucoma (I am young for that diagnosis) but just saw my eye doctor about 2 weeks ago. Basically, if I can manage them with a mild pain reliever, they are related to the fact that I am "taking care of small children and getting chemo." It seems to be my body's reaction to lack of rest. Obviously, if they get worse, I need to contact the doctor again. I will be there on Monday receiving chemo anyway. I am so happy to be able to take care of them, I am not taking care of myself.

I took the boys to a free movie yesterday, "Charlotte's Web." David and I were talking about what meat comes from a pig, when he pointed out to me that Charlotte died. He said, "It was her time." We talked a lot about death and he had a lot of questions. That was not an easy conversation to have with my soon-to-be 5 year old. But, those are the moments I don't want to forget.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how much you love your boys and how much you want to spend quality time with them. I admire how much you have been able to do with them. You are a great mom! I am in awe at the energy that you do have. Thank you for reminding me to take more time to spend with my children and to take that extra time to play in the park, etc.. I found the movie yesterday pretty emotional myself. I couldn't believe that I was crying over a spider! Love ya!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah...the above comment was from Susan.

Anonymous said...

Barb, you are AMAZING!!! Your an inspiration to all that know you! I read your blogs often and begin to wonder why something like this happened to you. When I'm finished reading your blog I kind of understand. God is working thru you! You & your family are in my prayers daily. KEEP THE FAITH GIRL!!
Karen Vied