Monday, August 6, 2007

A Day at the Beach and A Day at Chemo


We have returned from our vacation to NC and it was wonderful, relaxing and beautiful. The boys had a good time (although Dawson does not travel well so he was challenging at times). David was able to go fishing with Dave and he also spent lots of time jumping waves. More importantly, pirates invaded our island for the weekend and you know David was just in awe.

More good news from the doctor today and we now have an idea when the next step will take place. If the treatments stay on track, I will have my last treatment in October and surgery in November. I had my third treatment today and am now halfway done! The tumor continues to respond and it is hopeful that after surgery, all cancer cells in that breast will be gone.
I wrote myself a letter today to encourage me in the times this week when I think I can't do this anymore. (I don't always write about that part.) Dave read it and laughed at things like, "I will stop shuffling." I get an old man shuffle about midweek because of the weakness and I shuffle to take David and Dawson to their childcares. The letter also says things to help me draw on God's strength when mine is gone.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Barbara-
After running into y'all at the airport last night, I wanted to be sure to check your blog today. I am so glad to hear that there was good news with your treatment today. I will be praying for the days ahead that you already know will be difficult- that God will provide his all sufficient strength for these painful and tiring times. Congrats on being halfway through- what an accomplishment!!!
-Rachel

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you are half way there. I am glad that you had a great vacation. I love the picture with the pirate. Dawson's facial expression is priceless. I can only imagine what he was thinking. Probably - "You need to button your shirt closed." We continue to pray for strength and healing and it is ok to shuffle if ya need to!
Love,
Susan

Dorel said...

So wonderful to hear about your family vacation! You are still making great memories together even in the midst of your struggles. We continue to pray for all of you regularly and will keep it up! It was a great idea to write that letter to yourself for encouragement later. It's always a good idea to think back to things that God has gotten us through in the past. What a great reminder that He's going to continue to walk with us through whatever comes along! xo

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!! I told Jen I missed your comments. I asked, "Where's Barb?" and she told me you were on vacation and I said "Sooo!! She can't write from NC too?" Thank you for let us be a part in your life. Thank you for making yourself vulnerable enough to be able to share in your times of struggle and times of fun. I'm glad you guys had a nice trip.