Thursday, January 17, 2008

60 miles? - Piece of cake!

I just registered for the Philadelphia 3-day, 60 mile walk to fight breast cancer. It is in October and I should be physically able to handle it, along with a lot of training ahead of time.

This is the story of how I joined the walk. I saw a commercial on television for it and came downstairs and looked online. After watching the video and wiping away some serious tears, I saw that there are area "Get Started" meetings to learn more about the walk. There was one in my area a few days later. I was so excited. Here was the problem - we didn't have the money for the registration. So, we prayed, "God, if you want me to do this walk, you will provide this money." We joked that it would just be handed to us. I left that meeting so moved by the experience of the walk and I hadn't even done it yet! The boys were at their grandparents, so we took a long walk and talked about the meeting. Dave says that he was ready to stop and I wanted to keep walking!

The next day, I was handed a check by a friend whose family was affected by breast cancer. She knew I was interested in the walk and she wanted me to do it in honor of her mother. The check covered the registration fee plus a donation. So, now I am walking!!!! How is that for a neon sign?

If you would like to learn more about the walk, there is a link to my personal page to the right.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so AWESOME! We knew God would provide the way and open the door. I have already sent out the emails letting people know :-) I guess this gives you even more incentive and energy for those workouts each day. You are in our hearts and prayers!
Love you guys,
L J & Chris

laura said...

Wow I cannot even believe how abundant grace has been in your life, and how when you really needed something there it was. Those commercials for the three day can be very heart wrenching, but what an honor it will be for you to be walking not only for youself but for so many others.
Go for it, while I am still here I could use a walking partner myself.

Robyn said...

Barb, I am so proud of you! Yes, the Lord does provide, both for the big things and the little things. I'm seeing that more and more all the time. You have so much courage, and I am honored to be your friend. I may not be here when you do the walk, but I'd be happy to do some walking with you in the mean time! I need it, and would love to spend more time with you! Just let me know.

Hugs,
Robyn

Anonymous said...

Time to UP our Monday laps :0)! I'm so excited you get to do this and praise the Lord for how He provides!
Love,
Christie