Tuesday, January 22, 2008

"Chance" encounters

Yesterday, I had to get Herceptin again. I was sitting in the chemo room, drifting in and out of sleep. I had to get up and noticed the man sitting next to me. His IV bags were sitting on the table next to me with his name on it. It was the name of my Junior Prom date! I looked at the guy and knew that was NOT my junior prom date, but it could be his father. It turns out it was his father. He was being treated for throat cancer and we reminisced about high school and Middletown.

I met with my radiation oncologist today. I will begin radiation around February 11. I am not looking forward to this at all. I am finally starting to get back to feeling like myself and here comes another whammy. A few days ago, I started to notice that I was grouchier than usual. I realized over the weekend why I was being like that. In the back of my mind, I know I am about to face another hurdle. I have 3 weeks before it begins, but now there is this date hanging out there, waiting for me. Just in time for Valentines' Day!

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Barb,

I'm keeping you in my prayers. I know this next phase of treatment will not be easy, but I know that God will give you the strength that you need to get through this. You have been so courageous and have helped to give me courage in my day to day life. You are special to Him and to me!

Dorel said...

Hi Barb,

Was just catching up on your blog today. Just so you know, you have been beautiful at each stage of this journey! About the radiation, if you're like me you'll still be feeling fine on Valentine's Day! I don't know if that's helpful or not, but I hope it is. I didn't feel any more tired than usual until sometime during the third week. At that point you're a third of the way done, and it's a little easier to keep plugging along knowing a good chunk of it is behind you. You are regularly in our prayers!! (I started my radiation therapy exactly three years ago next week.)