Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Only 5 left!

We called yesterday my "Cancer Day." I had to go to the oncologist in the morning and also received Herceptin. I then had radiation in the afternoon. Following radiation, I went to get sized for special sleeves for my arms to help with swelling and drainage. Finally, around 7:30 last night, cancer day was done.

My visit with the oncologist wasn't off to a good start when he said that I would be receiving Herceptin until October. Dave said I almost bit his head off when I corrected him. The doctor simply misspoke but I told him I have plans that do not include Herceptin through October! (We all know how plans don't always work out.) We then scheduled my last 3 Herceptins and discussed my last treatment visit with him in May. When I saw the paper with the end on it, I just started crying and couldn't stop. Dave said I was giving my soul a bath. The dates are now in my calendar and there is a big smiley face on May 28.

We, of course, have a few hurdles between now and then - finishing radiation on March 31st, Dawson's surgery, my final surgery, and anything else life seems to throw at us in the meantime. I have a friend who will be beginning chemo the end of this month and also sat across from a woman yesterday who was receiving her first treatment. It is hard for me to believe that it was only June 5th when I received the phone call and later that month began chemo. I am participating in a clinical study about cancer survivorship and the study mentions that recalling some of my symptoms from treatment could be upsetting. I am trying to help this friend with chemo side effects and see a change in me anytime I have to recall my chemo experience. I may forget some of the specifics but my body seems to remember!

I am asked frequently, "How are you feeling?" My fatigue is the most prominent feeling at the moment and it becomes more extreme as each day progresses. But, I definitely find it more tolerable as I am rounding the final lap in this marathon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

5 more days - hooray!!!! Girl, you have come so far and we need a big celebration in June! I still remember vividly speaking to you in the church office after you found out and you looking up at me from your desk asking me if you were going to be ok. I admire your strength and courage through this journey and I look forward to lounging by the pool with you this summer!! Remember we are always here if you need anything!
Susan

Kristin said...

What a feeling it must be to see a light at the end of the tunnel. I can hardly even imagine what emotions you must go through on a daily basis. I thought we got lucky the other day when we saw your van's door was open, but unfortunately, I didn't see you. Before we started reading each other's blogs, we ran into each other often! :) Anyway, know you are continually in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful thing to put that end date on a calendar and to be able to look forward to it. Praise the Lord!
Rachel M.

Robyn said...

What good news to be so near the end of this part of your journey. I love and miss you friend! We'll have to catch up soon!