Sunday, October 26, 2008

3 day memories

Today was my first day back to walking. I gave my feet a week off (except for bus stop runs) and it felt great to be back into it today.

Isn't it amazing what our bodies can do? Dave and I walked 23 miles the first day, 22 the second and over 15 miles the last day. We found out that our mileage cards were not correct the first 2 days and learned some terms used at the walks, "The 3-day mile" and a "real mile." A real mile is just that, really a mile. The 3-day mile is closer to 1 to 2 miles and sometimes it seemed like they were the longest miles of our lives!

We also enjoyed the many creative ways people integrated different terms for "breast" in their team names and signs. Our boys would have enjoyed the Pirate lady standing with a sign, "Pirates of the Cariboobian." There was a sign at the closing ceremony which David tried to read out loud saying, "You are boobalicious." After he read it, he wanted a full explanation for its meaning. I tried.

The 2 most memorable moments for me was the first few feet of the walk and the victory walk at the end. They have people begin the walk with just a few of us at a time, walking down a center aisle with people on both sides, cheering us on. The speaker's speech that morning, as the sun rose, was incredible and motivating. She basically said to remember the road we have traveled in our lives to get us to that moment and that is what would help us just keep walking. As I walked down that aisle, I removed my hat from my head, let my bald head shine and got tons of high fives for it. The victory walk was also exceptional, with tons of people we saw along the way, standing on the side, cheering us on again. Some of them came out and hugged us and there was such a feeling of community and support in the air. We had helped each other get to this point, whether it was helping a walker in need or just talking to someone about "why they walk." I had so many women tell me how they couldn't believe I was doing it and how inspired they were by seeing me walk. They did enjoy hassling Dave, who was in some pain the last day and moving slower than me.

Dave's most memorable moment was at the closing ceremony where the walkers, in white shirts held up their shoes and surrounded the survivors, in pink shirts. Dave said that sea of pink was something he will not forget.

Oh, I forgot something else. We received mail the first night from lots of friends, encouraging us in our journey and we had some friends come by the cheering stations on Friday and Saturday. we didn't expect anyone and were surprised to see familiar faces. It was a great taste of home.


I have been asked if I would walk again. I have answered yes without hesitation, but I am not so sure about camping outside in 40 degree wind again. It was difficult to get any rest and be ready for the next day. Dave has a new respect for the training schedule and knows with his internship next year and working full time, he will not be able to keep up with it. He said he would do it again, but will not be able to next year.
I'm getting pooped, but I will share soon some of the funny things we heard from other walkers along the way.

One of the local cable talk shows kept showing clips from the 3-day last week and I never tired of seeing them. I kept spotting people we walked alongside and heard many of their stories. It really was an incredible experience and we want to thank all of you for supporting us, through financial support, encouraging words, or just reading about the experience. We have some photos to share.


Before the Opening Ceremony - this photo was taken at 5:46 a.m., way too early (and cold) to think about walking!

This was a safety guy - easy to spot! My only purchase during the walk.

Showing off my victory shirt!

Walking into the closing ceremonies. We did it!!!! 60 miles!!!!

Seeing our beautiful boys again! The closing ceremony - raising a flag that says "A World without Breast Cancer."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl!!! How amazing is this story....

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! And so glad to hear the good news of the CT scan!

Kristin said...

That is awesome...I am so amazed by you! So glad that Dave was able to be with you the whole way (and I loved the support sign he was standing beside!).

BTW, what is the symbolism of the shoes held up?

Great, inspiring post!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing the pix and stories, can't wait to read more!
Kendra Wiley

laura said...

So proud of you and Dave, what you guys did was incredible. Keep walking and keep fighting this nasty disease.