Friday, November 14, 2008

A Day at Kindergarten


I had the opportunity to volunteer in David's classroom this morning. I was so impressed with how his teacher takes everyday things and has these kids thinking creatively. I also enjoyed looking around the classroom at David's work. They had a "news" board in the hallway and how there are many different ways to report the news. David's paper said this, "David learned how to start his sentence with a question." This is what he wrote, "Do you know that my mom likes Republicans? John McCain lost and Obama won. My mom was not happy." I was speechless. The teacher told me she wasn't sure about hanging it, but David was so excited about his news. This is what happens when you talk politics with a 6 year old. He practically announced who I voted for when we left the booth.
Another student's paper said, "On Tuesday, Obama won the election. He beat John McCain. If you vote, you get free donuts."
I helped the class at their Listening Center today. This is where they listen to a story and then draw a picture and write sentences applying the story to their own lives. The story was about Thanksgiving and the students were to write what they were thankful for. Most kids wrote about their families and their toys, but my favorite was, "I am thankful for everything except the devil." If I was their teacher, I don't think I would stop laughing all day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim and I are still laughing! You go David! Keep that teacher (and your parents) on their toes. Little ones are so great with their enthusiasm and honesty.....ah to be young again!Judy Mulhern

Anonymous said...

That is why I love being a teacher. It is so fun to watch them grow and they are so funny. I am glad that you were able to finally go in and help. I was able to g into Abigail's class yesterday as well.

Susan

Robyn said...

That is awesome! You need to tell my dad about the devil comment. Glad that you were able to spend time in his class. I went to Will's today and will go again in a few days. It is so fun to listen to them, and see what they are learning.

Anonymous said...

That's like when Chloe was saying in her prayers, "...and thank you for my sins..."... We had to clear that one up for her!!
Gotta love them!!

Ruthann