Thursday, April 30, 2009

Good, but exhausting day

I had quite a day today. David had his Spring Music Program at school this morning. Picture 70+ Kindergartners standing on a stage singing and doing the Hand Jive . . . and remarkably very few were hitting each other! He was able to lead the motions to one of the songs and took it very seriously. There was a bake sale after the show, so I bought him a little something for after his lunch. When I saw him after the concert, he informed me that he found a dollar in his pocket and bought Dave and I a cookie to share. He didn't buy anything for himself. It made my heart melt.

Then, I had an appointment with my oncologist this afternoon and was also scheduled for Herceptin following the appointment. My visit went well. I am cleared to drive!! I was very excited to hear it and then a little nervous since I haven't driven for almost 7 weeks! An MRI of my brain is scheduled for the middle of May to see what progress has been made and then we will do a follow-up CT scan to check the rest of my body the beginning of June.

By the time I got home from everything, I was so exhausted. I usually rest after lunch and didn't get a chance to today. I did get some rest late this afternoon and was able to enjoy dinner with everyone. Oh, I drove earlier this evening. Dave announced to the neighbors as we walked out the door that everyone should stand back because Barbara has the car keys. I also appreciated another neighbor directing me as I backed out of the driveway. We arrived to our destination safely and with no events along the way . . . and it felt so good!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a day! David is such a sweetie! That made my heart melt to read about his purchase. Do you feel like you are 16 again, ready to drive when you have the chance? Praying that your future appointments go well. Bridget

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you have been getting good news the last couple days - no more steroids and now you can drive!!!!
David is so sweet - a child buys a cookie and keeps none for himself!! WOW!
-K.Sica

Anonymous said...

David has such a caring heart! I am glad that you are able to get your freedom back. It was good seeing you out and about yesterday. You will have to tell me how the mushroom soup tasted.

Susan

Robyn said...

So glad you are able to drive again and that you had such a good day. I love what you wrote about David. I don't think one of mine would have done that- although the other might have. I will leave them nameless. What pure unselfishness. I love it! Hugs to you all!