Wednesday, November 4, 2009

It is with a heavy heart that I write this. My dear friend from my support group, Toni, has passed away. I saw her at group about 1 month ago and she was moving slow. She participated in the discussion but was very tired. Since then, she went on a family vacation and started a new chemo. I received an email this morning from the group facilitator that she went on hospice last Friday. I had hoped to call or visit tomorrow. I received another email this afternoon that she passed away today. She leaves behind her husband of many years and 2 daughters. She always made us laugh when she told us stories of shopping at QVC and hiding the packages from her husband. We will miss you, Toni.

The boys walked in as I was reading the email and crying and I shared with them what happened. All 3 of us were crying and Dawson is saying, "I don't want you to die!" and I'm saying, "I don't want to either!" I explained that the medicine I get that makes my hair fall out also gets rid of the cancer. He was happy with that.

9 comments:

L J Hesslink said...

Sorry to hear you have had some tough news about friends lately. Our prayers and love are always with you. We know you carry a heavier burden than any of us could even comprehend. Our Lord is there holding you close and taking you through each day, even if he carries you through the tough ones.

Lisa Olinda, Olinda Services said...

Dear Barbara,

I sit here and weep as I read this update. I remember only too well sitting by my brothers bedside as he lost his fight with cancer in August, 2005. My prayers are with you as you grieve the lose of this dear friend. May the Lord bring you comfort and joy during this time of sorrow.

Lisa

Stacy said...

You are in our prayers Barb! I'm so sorry to hear about your friend!:(

Anonymous said...

Know that you are in our prayers as you grieve the loss of another friend this week, as always. I pray for peace and strength for you and for the words to say to the boys on those low days. Bridget

Anonymous said...

Love you Barbara and pray for you daily.

Susan

Robyn said...

So sorry, Barb!!! Praying for you!

laura said...

wow to explain to the boys what happened and than their response, it must be so hard to share with them so honestly yet at the same time it is a blessing that they understand what is happening around them and that praying for healing is so important

Momma Brown said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to read this......You are in my thoughts and prayers daily!

Ruthann