Saturday, November 17, 2007

More lists!

I met with the physical therapist yesterday who explained to me what exercises I can do as soon as possible after surgery. I was a little overwhelmed. Dave and I are going to create some sort of checklist to follow so I will actually do everything I am supposed to do. Coach Dave is going to have to push me to do some, because the therapist said that there are some I will not want to do. It will be uncomfortable but I need to keep in mind the benefit of doing them - getting back to normal, sooner rather than later!

Before I met with her, I arrived early and decided to sit in the parking lot and eat my lunch. (Arriving early is a rare occurrence for me!) So, I enjoyed listening to the radio and the solitude for a few minutes. Then it hit me - the next time I come to this office, I will be changed. So much of my life will be different! I will be 2-4 weeks post-op and will not be skipping down the sidewalk to her office. The song on the radio confirmed that "He has promised good to me." The vision of God walking (slowly) beside me as I entered that building the next time came to mind; the pain in His face as I struggle with everyday tasks; and, the love. God will get to you in those quiet moments, when you least expect it. The therapist said that I was handling all of this pretty well. I told her, "You didn't see me crying in the parking lot."

2 comments:

Robyn said...

You have been such a wonderful testimony to those around you. I know that it is God who is giving you strength through all this. I am so glad that I can be near you during this time, even though it is hard. I enjoy seeing you at least once a week- it is such a gift to me! Thanks for blogging- I really enjoy reading what you write.

Thanks for being my friend! I love you,
Robyn

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara,
So glad you got connected with the therapist! And as always, if I can be any help with clarifying exercises or anything, don't hesitate to ask.
Jill