Monday, July 7, 2008

I visited with my cosmetic surgeon today. The incision is still needing some extra help. Another spot on the skin has surfaced within the last couple of weeks, and has not gone away. She did a biopsy. I should know by the end of next week what this is.

Last night, while lying in bed, searching for some kind of peace in the midst of this, I came across the passage where Jesus calms the storm in Luke 8:

One day Jesus said to his disciples, "Let's go over to the other side of the lake." So they got into a boat and set out. As they sailed, he fell asleep. A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped, and they were in great danger.

The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Master, Master, we're going to drown!" He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm. "Where is your faith?" he asked his disciples.


In fear and amazement they asked one another, "Who is this? He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey him."

The gospel of Mark writes that the disciples said, ""Teacher, don't you care if we drown?"

I have heard this story so many times. David's Toddler Sunday School teacher still tells me the story of David reenacting it, wanting to be Jesus sleeping and then stands and with great drama tells the storm to "Be Still." This is a story even the toddlers know. But, they don't face too many storms at their age.

The thought that came to my mind is that the storm still came. It wasn't smooth sailing under blue skies all of the time. But, don't You care that I am sick over the thought of what this spot could be? Don't You care what this will do to my family again? He cares, but this is where my faith wavers. If He can calm the storm, He can certainly calm the storm in my heart.

Please pray for this situation. It could be nothing or much more.

4 comments:

Robyn said...

Barb- this has been a year of great storms/testing for you guys. I am praying that you will find peace and rest in the midst of all of this. I'm so glad that you have this blog to share with us, otherwise I wouldn't know how to pray for you, or what has been going on. If there's anything I can do, please don't hesitate to ask. I continue to pray for you and Dave, too, that you will have some good times together, just the two of you. Hugs to you all...

Dee said...

I just sent a prayer heavenward for you and I will continue! It's so encouraging to hear how the Lord is drawing you closer to Himself through all of this. Thanks for keeping us posted!

Anonymous said...

Prayers are going out to you all for strength in this once again stormy time. Jesus is your life jacket...tighten the straps and let him do the rest!

together said...

after the worst storm on Earth God sent a rainbow watch for your rainbow......our prayers are with you and your family