Friday, December 4, 2009

How a day can change things

I had the 2-D echo done of my heart and really had trouble breathing during it. I was on my left side and had to really concentrate on every breath - even had to take a few breaks. It seems that the pericardial effusion is now affecting my heart's ability to pump at its full capacity, which is what is causing my problems. The cardiologist contacted my oncologist and a cardiothoracic surgeon to schedule me for pericardial window surgery. I meet with the surgeon on Monday and am expected to have the surgery some time next week. I was told that I should feel much better once the fluid is drained.

I haven't had a chance to speak directly with my oncologist but it seems that the cancer is not the cause of my discomfort. I need to speak with him to know the specific plan but I am assuming chemo will not be happening this week.

When I spoke with our families about this, they asked if I had good news and I told them it was more of a curveball. I am still trying to wrap my head around this one. The links to the information about pericardial effusion and the surgery are very informative, if you are interested in reading more about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sigh...So sorry that your December is not turning out the way you wished. I am glad that you have a diagnosis and that this procedure will bring you some relief.

Michelle

Robyn said...

So sorry, my friend. Will pray that this surgery brings you relief and that you will be able to enjoy the rest of your December. My heart is heavy for you. Love you, and believing in His best for you. I know this must be so hard.

Love you!