Thursday, July 12, 2007

The countdown has begun!

Well, I am now sporting a new do - or what is left of it. I finally had to have a friend cut it very short because it was a mess - patches some places, bald others, and needless to say, making a mess everywhere. Some hairs are still hanging on but not many. The boys have done much better with it than I expected. I can go natural around the house and no one screams in horror.

Tomorrow, I am having a port-a-cath put in so the doctors can stick me less. Monday is my next treatment. I am trying to get all of my ducks in a row before the next treatment, but find myself seriously stressing right now. I feel like I am preparing for an extended vacation where I will have no contact with the outside world - although, this is no vacation and I will have contact. Someone asked me, "What will happen if you don't get all of these things done?" "But I have to do them" is not really an accurate answer. I feel like I have to do them. I finally had to ask for help and am feeling much better. I know, I know - I should have just asked for help in the first place. I am still learning how to take care of myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Barb,
I have a co-worker who had the "Port -a- Cath" put in her chest when she was going through her chemo and she loved it. As much as one can. She has said she wishes she still had it for the many appointments she has to draw blood. She is a survivor from breast cancer and told me I should recommend it to you but I didn't want to inundate you with friendly advice. Another thing she thought would help would be to take a voice recorder with you to Dr. appointments so you can relisten to things once you leave. That's all I have. Barb, a friend told me once not to sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff. Well he's kinda right cause you got some big stuff happening right now. Please just concentrate on you and your health and we'll help you with the rest (the "Small Stuff").
Love to you and your family,
Bud

Robyn said...

Barb,

I am so glad that you are keeping this blog, it really does help me feel closer to you, and able to keep up with what's going on. I wish that I could be nearby and help you with whatever you need help with, or to make meals, watch the kids, etc. Please know that BJ and I pray for you continually. I will especially pray hard for you, for this next week of treatments. Know that you are loved and cared for by us. I will be in touch again soon!