Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Get ready for the pink!

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, if you haven't noticed already. You will see pink everywhere! Before I was diagnosed, we joked that we didn't have much pink in our house since we had 2 boys. We never thought this would be the way for more pink. The cashier at the grocery store asked me today if I wanted to purchase a pink bag for breast cancer awareness. I pointed to my head and informed her I was already very aware. This led to a detailed discussion about my treatments and surgery because she had a friend who was just diagnosed. I don't know how the man behind us felt about it, but it seemed to help the cashier understand some of the process better. Anyway, she still couldn't understand why I didn't want the pink bag. I told her I sometimes like to leave the pink behind and just blend in, as much as possible. I bought the Halloween ones instead for the boys. They were a lot more fun.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Seriously...how strange that the cashier wouldn't understand the fact that you already have plenty of reminders. Did you tell her you were doing the 3-Day? I have often wondered when I see pink ribbon items if everyone who is affected by breast cancer is grateful to see the ubiquitous symbol all over. I am sure it is a relief that so many people support finding a cure, though.

BTW, thanks for linking to my blog. :)