Monday, December 10, 2007

Doctor Update

I met with the oncologist today. My big question is "Why did we find this cancer?" He said that there is only a 20% chance that I would go into this surgery and no cancer would be found. They have found positive lymph nodes on both sides and cancer in the left breast. The pathologist spoke with the doctor while we were in the office. He was still checking the right breast for cancer. The main thing he wants the pathologist to check is to see if the cancer found on the right side is an estrogen/progesterone receptor. This would be different than the kind in my left. What that would mean is they put me on an additional long-term drug.

He didn't seem too concerned. We will meet with him again next week to talk about the final pathology report. At this point, my treatment will remain the same. I love this doctor because I always feel hopeful when I leave his office. We had met with other doctors, where we felt like my days were numbered. He has always been honest with us that I have a very serious and dangerous form of cancer, but looks at what we have beaten as opposed to what might still be out there.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara -
Continuing to pray for you and Dave and the boys! Thanks for the continued updates. It helps me to pray more specifically.
Jill

Dorel said...

Hi Barb,

We continue to pray for you many times daily. I didn't get a chance to tell you that when I saw Dr. Grubbs about 10 days ago I told him that he is treating one of my friends from church. When I told him who he said, "She is an incredible lady!" We agreed about that for a few minutes, then the young woman doctor that was with him said, "I know Barbara too and she is AWESOME!" Then we all agreed about that for a few minutes more. See, you are touching the lives of many as your love for Christ shines through. xo

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara-
I am so glad to hear that the doctor update gave you HOPE! How wonderful to have a doctor who is honest and positive. I will continue praying for your recovery. Thanks for the update!
Rachel

Anonymous said...

God has blessed you with this wise and encouraging doctor and the Lord is making you a blessing to others in this whole process, too!
Love & Prayers,
Christie

Anonymous said...

Praise God! I am so glad that God has blessed you with a caring and honest doctor. It can make such a difference.
Much Love,
Susan